Saturday, November 1, 2008

Grey Pigeons




These shots were taken while touring the fort in Jodhpur, Rajasthan.

A heroic pigeon named G.I. Joe saved the lives of a thousand soldiers in World War 2 after British troops had established a position within an Italian town that was due to be bombed by allied planes. Communication equipment was down and the only means of stopping the raid was to attach a hastily written message to G.I. Joe and send him to the HQ. G.I. Joe flew 20 miles in 20 minutes arriving at the air base whilst the planes were taxiing on the runway. Disaster was averted with 5 minutes to spare. G.I. Joe received the ‘Dickin’ medal for his bravery.



Camera Critters

14 comments:

Misty DawnS said...

I've always liked Pigeons. I think they are pretty. Great photos!

ShannonW said...

Great photos!

Anonymous said...

Nice photo, and a great story as well. We see so many pigeons around, we think of them as dirty urban birds, and it's easy to overlook how beautiful they really are.

Anonymous said...

Pigeons are highly under appreciated! If you ask me, if they were called grey doves people would care more.

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful birds.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Pigeons are really beautiful and colorful Very nice close up

Horsoon said...

Pigeons are amazing with their sence of directions ability to travel long distances; even the ancient Chinese had been using them as a mean of communication. I wonder if it's still being used these days?

Jane Hards Photography said...

Very bicley taken. Great depth of field.

magiceye said...

lovely pics and enjoyed the super pigeon tale too!!

ratmammy said...

interesting story and lovely photos!

Gretchen said...

What a great story! I love how a lowly pigeon saved all those humans. Great shots, too. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great story! I don't care for pigeons all that much, but now I have a renewed sense of awe for them!

Anonymous said...

Those were the days
Isnt it.
Nice info.
:)

Zeee said...

Nice shot!
I remember the scene in Mary Poppins about the old lady feeding the birds... :)